-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Edward Jaffe
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 9:59 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: SHARE bound air traveler's TSA change liquids prohibited in

<snip>
Personally, I would like to see dampening fields used on airplanes (and
in restaurants, movie theaters, etc.) that would render cell-phones and
other similar transmitter/receivers completely inoperative. (That way,
you could carry your personal electronics anywhere and still be able to
enjoy dinner in a restaurant without having to listen to the person at
the table next to you fighting with their boy/girlfriend over the
phone.) The technology to do this exists. The challenge on an airplane
is to implement it in a way that won't interfere with the aircraft's
navigation and communications systems.
<snip>

I can't tell you the number of times that either my co-pilot (wife) or I
have left our cell-phones active (live / on) while flying. They did not
interfere with the Comm frequencies or the GPS navigational system nor
the ground based nav systems (VOR/VORTAC, DME, Localizer, or ILS), or
the transponder.

Now the big iron pilots have Comm radios that operate on a higher freq
set than our plane operates on (108-134? MHz compared to 4xx(?)MHz). As
long as the dampening fields do not use 10MHz (First IF freq) or
400-48KHz (Second IF freqs), I don't see the problem. However, that
would be the way to damp out those little buggers completely -- given
what I remember of electronics theories.

Later,
Steve Thompson