At 08:27 AM 08/11/2006, you wrote:
> [...]

I'd aver that the mere fact of the hyper-hysterical over-reaction in the
name of "security" is the terrorists' "victory".

Soon the only things left to ban from airliners will be the passsengers
themselves.

    -jc-

Heard one of the security analysts on CNN this morning say that the airlines (and the TSA) need to spend more time screening passengers rather than the items they carry on.

This liquid bomb thing has been something the authorities in the UK and USA have known about since 1995 when they arrested Ramzi Yousef. Yousef and his associates plotted to blow up eleven U.S. commercial aircraft in one spectacular day of terrorist rage. The bombs were to be made of a liquid explosive designed to pass through airport metal detectors. But while mixing his chemical brew in a Manila apartment, Yousef started a fire. He was forced to flee, leaving behind a computer that contained the information that led to his arrest a month later in Pakistan. At that time it was determined that a cell phone was to be the detonator. Frankly, in the very least, airlines should have started banning all liquids in carry on luggage then instead of waiting 11 years and then jerking their knees and everything else. A clear sign of closing the barn door after the horses have left.

Steve Wiegand