-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Patrick O'Keefe
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 10:06 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Use of FORCE

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 01:28:34 -0400, Jim Mulder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

<snip>
In the future we are going to do the cancel early in the shutdown
procedure
so we may not ever run into this again.  And I may not convince anyone
here that this problem is worth reproducing.  In other words, I may
never
get the needed dump.  Are you suggesting I should not have opened a PMR
in
this case?

<snip>

As a developer, I'd rather know that the problem existed. At least with
all the diagnostics you give me I could try to recreate the problem and
hopefully produce a fix for it. [Trust me, every place where I've
worked, you having to use "FORCE" was taken VERY seriously and such a
problem would be viewed as a SEV1/CRITSIT waiting in the wings.]

Let me ask this one question: Would the micro-code guys just blow it off
if you shutdown an LPAR and it hung on an SCLP command that was out of
sequence? And the only way out was a POR?

There is a methodology or perspective problem with the "C" based
developers (from where I sit). They still think they have memory leaks.
I can't seem to catch any of that in a bucket we keep in the bottom of
the processor.

Later,
Steve Thompson