Alan,

Thank you for giving us an I assume official word on VM's future viability. I was pretty sure that IBM was not giving up on VM, but its good hear it ffrom the developers.

Eric Bielefeld
Sr. z/OS Systems Programmer
Milwaukee Wisconsin
414-475-7434

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alan Altmark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I can assure you that IBM is not giving up on z/VM.  Virtualization is
something that the industry is focusing on right now.  (They think it's
new.)  z/VM has been in the background for decades supplying the services
that drive your systems to higher levels of utilization and reducing
hardware investments.

It's price is so low as to be considered "pencil dust" so it is a cost-
effective tool.  In z/OS environments it is being used when it is finally
decided that the TCO of Linux on the mainframe is compelling.  We're even
starting to getting repeat business from z/OS customers who dropped VM a
decade ago.  The ability to test network configurations (OSA and
HiperSockets), create test sysplexes, and provision new instances in only
minutes, is making z/VM attractive to
- reduce the time needed to develop, test, and deploy new z/OS apps
- reduce the cost of developing and testing new z/OS apps
- provide a sandbox where mistakes can be made without retribution
(increases experimentation and innovation)
- easily inject errors (e.g. simulate pulling an OSA cable)

Think of us as another tool in the toolbox.  We aren't an application
development platform any more, true, but z/VM *is* the most programmable,
flexible, powerful, and robust hypervisor in existence.

Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
z/VM Development, IBM