======  Paul Gilmartin  ======  wrote    2006-08-18 16:28:
In a recent note, Thomas Berg said:

Date:         Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:43:12 +0200

Yes, but at least regarding REXX I haven't found any mentionable
"wartifications"
.
Do You think of any specific points ?

o Absence of construct to pass arguments by reference.

Right.  Although I only really missed it when returning results sometimes.

o Absence of facility to enumerate members of a compound variable.

Right, but is it really essential ?  AFAICS, You can solve this quite easily
programmatically.
(Albeit clumsy.)

o Absence of construct to use expressions as compound tails

Is that essential ?  As You have the alternatives Value() or just evaluate the
expression
before using the compound.

... I think those are the top three from the Rexx fora.

o Absence of instream data sets.

I dont understand this one.

o Absence of facility to perform concurrent ATTCHPGM

... but sometimes "address 'SYSCALL' 'spawn ...'" suffices.

o Absence of facility to perform molecular ENQs, a la JCL, in
  order to avoid deadlocks.

o Inability to WAIT for SYSDSN ENQs.

o Absence of tape-specific support, such as RETAIN and VOL=REF.

I recognize the last several are environmental rather than
intrinsic to Rexx,

I think so.  (Perhaps excluding "concurrent ATTCHPGM", but that's maybe
because TSO don't permit that ?)

and might be implemented in a function
package.  But some of them need to be addressed in order to
make Rexx a viable alternative to JCL, or in any alternative
to JCL.

But I still prefer Rexx to JCL, and use it to build JCL when
some of the points above preclude an entirely-Rexx solution.

-- gil

--

    Mundus Vult Decipi

deserve neither liberty nor safety.