In a message dated 8/21/2006 12:29:20 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>Perhaps IBM has a undocumented system service to retrieve the # of
>directory blocks allocated to a data set?
I would believe rather that there is a module that reads and counts
directory blocks which is called by many other modules, all of which are OCO
and thus
undocumented in the general sense.  I seem to recall that this  topic was
discussed recently on IBM-MAIN, and the consensus was that one must  read
through
the directory and count the blocks.  Tom Harper said  "it's stored in the
VTOC records" and recommended using CVAF.  It's not  stored in any VTOC record
that I know of, but it certainly should be, IMHO,  and it is such a useful
metric that I still find it hard to believe that IBM  did not store this metric
in
some metadata such as the Format 1  DSCB.  A quick reading of the REALLOC
function of CVAF makes it seem  possible to use CVAF.  The book does not say
where
the metric comes from,  and it also says that REALLOC is an authorized CVAF
function.  Back to  square one.

Bill  Fairchild