-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Lindy Mayfield
Sent: Monday, August 28, 2006 2:05 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: What part of z/OS is the OS?

Thanks Alan.  I realized that coming up with a definition of what is an
operating system was a slippery slope.  So I thought to ask if maybe it
was more well defined for z/OS by IBM.

I tried to think of an example where things were clear.  I could think
of maybe PC-DOS 1.2.  If I remember correctly the OS was quite definable
there.  Then again, would command.com have been a part of the OS or not.
(-:

Perhaps it all really is just an academic discussion, but I can't help
but think there should be a clear definition somewhere.  Maybe I'll try
to Google a bit harder.

Lindy
<snip>

If you are a contract programmer in the state of Ohio, you must charge
sales tax any time the work you do involves the installation or
modification of the operating system!

Ok, so I asked the state to define the O/S in the area of mainframes
(specifically). They agreed that it was very complicated and so told me
that it was any component that exercised control over hardware. And
finally they said that I was the expert so I should make the decision as
to when something was sales taxable! [Hmmmm. Fox, hen house, what a
mental image!] So I made sure to not write channel commands or work on
anything in JES2 (exits) where it would be argued that I was controlling
or modifying the control of hardware, etc.

Good thing I managed to avoid the install of z/OS during Server Pack
customization (I actually had one of the customer's people answer and
submit certain things  ;-) ).

Looking at a graphic representation of an O/S, most I've seen are a
graphic representation similar to the peeling of an onion.

Later,
Steve Thompson