In
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
on 08/29/2006
   at 08:55 AM, "Kuredjian, Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:

>If z/OS doesn't fit a traditional CS definition of a kernel, then
>what is it?

If an airplane doesn't fit a traditional navigator's definition of a
boat, then what is it? z/OS is the most recent version of MVS. There's
no reason to expect or want it to fir an artificial academic model.

>Does the BCP act as a micro or nano kernel with all other services
>sharing its address space?

No. MVS doesn't have a micro kernel, and the BCP runs in multiple
address spaces.

>Does the concept of "rings" or "kernel address space" even exist on
>these machines?

Those are two separate concepts, neither of which is applicable to
MVS. MVS was designed in a more amorphous and distributed fashion.