From: "Van Dalsen, Herbie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: What part of z/OS is the OS?
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:00:51 +0100

My humble opinion would be the following...
1. OS = Operating system i.e. Any part that operate the system
2. Function =
a) handle all requests from users / other systems... This implies that
any command thrown at it be it MVC or OI, is handled by the Operating
system.
b) notify users / other systems of its current status... This implies
that any part of the system writing SMF records and or send error
messages.

So all error handlers on the lowest level should be included. Any
program etc that handles requests on the lowest level should be
included.

What would not be included is the next layer... IDCAMS / DFSMS that
intercepts the base error codes and tries its best to send a reasonably
understandable error code. The problem comes when the distinction
between layer 1 and 2 becomes fuzzy ?

Regards

Herbie van Dalsen