On Thursday, 08/31/2006 at 11:58 EST, Tom Schmidt
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:27:53 -0400, Alan Altmark wrote:
>
> >The drives encrypt/decrypt data *in the drive itself [at] tape speed*.
The
> >performance penalty of host-based encryption is no longer necessary.
>

> Hmmm... not quite.  From the U.S. announcement materials:
>
> "Note: With encryption enabled, the access time to data on the tape
drive
> will increase. Also, the tape drive unload time will increase. This is
due
> to the time needed to retrieve, read, and write the encryption key."

As Walt notes, my point was that you no longer have the performance
penalty of *host* encryption.  And while encryption on the drive doesn't
take "zero time" (TANSTAAFL, right?), it's nothing like host-based
encryption.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott