On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 22:23:19 -0500, Russell Witt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> .... For those that
>never went to virtual-devices, it's a good way to encrypt data. But since
>IBM, STK, EMC and CA have all been pushing the advantages of virtual-tape
>(and there are so many advantages, its hard not to use it), this offering
>leaves a lot to be desired.

IMHO, the only advantage of virtual tape is that it allows ancient
applications to continue to write to tape long after the economics of it
make sense.

Several years ago, at a previous shop, IBM tried hard to sell us VTS, but we
took a hard look at our tape usage.  We found that there were a lot of
applications that had been designed long ago when disk space was much more
expensive that were writing their "huge" data sets to tape.  How huge?
Well, there was a time when "huge" meant anything more than 100 cylinders on
a 2314.  We had "huge" tape data sets on tape that were smaller than some of
our small data sets!

Aside from that, we had D/R issues.  We didn't want to have to replicate all
of our tapes for D/R.  We were already keeping off-site copies of all our
backups, both full-volume and incremental, as well as our archive tapes.  We
made the decision that we would use tape only for backups, achives and a
very small number of really big data sets, like SMF dumps.  We were an FDR
shop and FDR/ABR fills up tapes quite nicely.  Applications that still
needed tapes had to justify the need and manage their own off-site copies.
In the end, we converted everything to disk.

VTS?  An interesting idea, but not, in my opinion, a good way to go.

YMMV

Tom Marchant