In a recent note, Edward Jaffe said:

> Date:         Sun, 3 Sep 2006 08:11:27 -0700
>
> The logon screen was the "side" (i.e., not "official" TSO development)
> project of one one developer whose (unwelcome) contribution was hastily
> adopted by management at a time when the "flavor of the month" was to
> ensure that no passwords appeared at the terminal.

How did that help?

The earliest I recall, perhaps MVS 3.8, logon was linemode, and
the user could enter "username/password".  And one colleague
defiantly set his password to "/" to minimize hand motion.  And
allowed others to see it.

Subsequently, TSO ceased accepting passwords on the unmasked logon
line (and my colleague complained) and, still in linemode, presented
a nondisplayed field for the password, even as linemode applications
such as FTP do today.  Wasn't that sufficient?

Later (TSO/E?) the full-screen logon appeared.  But how did
that mask the password any better than previously?  It did save
one transaction (or not?  I now must clear the screen after the
logon panel; I don't remember doing that before).

The full-screen logon does remember my initial command.  I don't
know whether linemode logon did that for me.

-- gil
--
StorageTek
INFORMATION made POWERFUL