From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Laura Prill
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 4:41 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Correlating CHPID utilization with DASD device activity

We have two ESS-800s running at different sites.  Each ESS is conncected
to a local z800 processor. Each device has access to four FICON
channels.
Each device is using PAVs.

For one site, the RMF Channel Path Activity report is showing
substantially higher channel activity than for the other site.  The
times of the high channel activity are well aligned with a testing
schedule, but I would like to further narrow down what is causing the
extra activity.

I was hoping to correlate the times of high channel activity to
information in the RMF Direct Access Device Activity report to compare
how busy the volumes are, and which volumes are the busiest, to
determine which datasets may be involved in the differences in channel
utilization between sites.  So far, I haven't seen any correlation
between raw values on the DASD Activity Report and CHPID activity
values.

Is it possible to do what I am trying to do?  Is there something better
to look at than the RMF DASD Activity Report?  If anyone has had to do
anything like this before, any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Laura Prill
This email/fax message is for the sole use of the intended
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this
email/fax is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
destroy all paper and electronic copies of the original message.