In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 09/04/2006
   at 10:03 AM, Chris Mason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>I think here you are saying "No" because the dimensions can only be
>"set" using the BIND and cannot be "configured" using the device
>"configuration" possibilities.

The sizes picked up by a BIND with the query bit are determined by the
model number that you configured the 3180 to. For the basic model
numbers a BIND without the query bit must be an exact match and for
the extended model numbers the BIND can specify anything within the
physical device limits.

>You lost me here.

Edward Jaffe wanted dynamic screen size changes, initiated by the user
at the terminal and automatically recognized by the host application.
That's not something in the datastream definition and not something
provided by InfoWindow et al.

>That's a good point about the 12-bit addressing. I expect this is in
>reference to having default presentation space dimensions where the
>number of rows is set to more that 24 but the application knows only
>to use 24 - and uses 12-bit addressing.

Not quite; it's in reference to applications that can handle more than
24 rows but can't handle a display buffer larger than 4 KiB, e.g., the
application will work with 51x80 but fail with 52x80, or the
application will work with 31x132 but fail with 32x127.

>Ok, this is my fault, clearly I have to be ultraprecise in my
>referencing or the faintest chance to misunderstand will be taken.

Red herrings! Get your red herrings while they're fresh. I never
suggested any such thing. It would, however, be nice if you didn't
make overly broad generalizations and if you didn't expect people to
read your mind when you quote a large body of text but are only
responding to one part.

>The sentence upon which I was commenting

Was imbedded in a large body of text, with no indication that you
comment referred to that sentence at all, much less that it refereed
only to that sentence. If your software makes it difficult to use a
correct quoting style, you could at least word your comment in such a
way as to indicate context.