On Tuesday, 09/05/2006 at 10:11 ZW3, "Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.)"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >o Of late, companies are requiring ever more complex passwords, with
> >  mixed-case, numerics, and special characters.  VM line editing
> >  usurps several special characters; to enter them literally, they
> >  must be prefixed with '"'.  But the password field in VM full
> >  screen logon is only 8 characters wide, allowing no extra space
> >  for quoting characters.
>
> Does VM line editing apply? I thought that was strictly for command
> and line-mode input.
>
> >  - Line editing ought to be disabled by default on graphic
> >terminals.
>
> For for full-screen applications, yes: not for line-mode input.

By coincidence, the userid and password fields on the VM logo are being
changed to stop line editing since there is no ambiguity in what is
essentially a full-screen app.  But if you press <enter> and go back into
line mode, then the default VM line editing characters (those specified or
defaulted in SYSTEM CONFIG) are in effect, even before you log on.

> >    The feature is useful only on keyboard-printer terminals.
>
> The feature is useful for line-mode input on a 3270. BTDTGTS.

VM allows the sysprog to set the line editing defaults.  The most
reasonable are: CHARDEL OFF LINEND # ESCAPE " LINEDEL OFF.  Character and
line delete aren't necessary any more and the default of CHARDEL @ just
creates havoc with internet addressing.  Users are free to set their own
values to override the defaults.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott