In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 09/04/2006
   at 01:14 PM, Tsai Laurence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>  I am confused that the difference between LF & NL ?

LF in ASCII is defined as moving down one line while remining in the
same position. NL does not exist in ASCII[1], but does in EBCDIC, and
is defined as moving to the first character of the next line. The
ASCII sequence CR LF[2] has the effect of an NL character.

C and Unix use the LF character as though it were NL.

>Can anybody advise me ?

For some languages, e.g., Perl, \n will generate CR, CRLF, LF, NEL or
NL as appropriate. For others you need to know enough about your
environment to use the appropriate character or character sequence.

[1] It does exist in many newer character sets that match ASCII at
    code points 0-127, e.g., ISO 8859.

[2] On some devices you need to add the stray NUL to avoid timing
    problems.