In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 09/04/2006
   at 12:43 PM, Paul Gilmartin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>ASCII NEL (0x85

There is no '85'x in ASCII, although there is in ISO 8859.

>EBCDIC dogmatists disagree, saying that in such a code page
>programmers could no longer rely on NL to perform its historic
>function (in fact no such character would be defined at all) on
>hardware devices (are any such still in use?),

AFAIK there are still 3270 printers in use. There's also an issue of
multi-line USS messages, which, flowing in the LU-SSCP session, use
SCS.

>BTW, VM/CMS facilities converting ISO8859-1 to IBM-1047 generally
>map ASCII LF to 0x25 and ASCII NEL to 0x15,

Translating ASCII LF to EBCDIC LF and ISO 8859-1 NEL to EBCDIC NL
looks like they DTRT. I may be an MVS bigot, but in this case I must
agree with the VM folks.