Wrong. The CPACF services offered by ICSF require CLEAR KEYS. They are
not encrypted by the master key. There are new key form keywords for
clear keys, "CLRDES" for clear DES key and "CLRAES" for clear AES key.
These are the only key forms usable by the CPACF interface in ICSF, and
they are not encrypted anywhere, either in storage or on the CKDS.

> This is the advantage - you don't have
> to worry about it. You can control and audit key usage using RACF. The
> person who use key may be unable to read the key from storage (different
> set of authorities).

The RACF support in ICSF restricts access to the services, but not the
resource being ciphered. That is a HUGE difference.

> Last but not least: it comes almost free - ICSF is built in z/OS price,
> ICSF overhead is quite irrelevant.

ICSF does not offer a key management *system*. ICSF only offers a key
repository, and when it is combined with the CPACF (faster than CCF and
scales much better than CCF) there is no key encryption.

> "One more last but not least": It could be easier to call ICSF services
> than to use CPACF instructions directly.

That's why I suggest using an API, instead of directly using CPACF.

> > A key management *system* is much more complex than what ICSF offers.
>
> Please enlight us:
> 1. What is key management system?
A key management system controls access to keys, rather than access to
ciphering services. With CPACF, any problem program can perform ciphering.
Restricting access to ciphering is missing the entire point of security.
Controlling and auditing access to keys that are bound to specific resources
is the point of a secure key management system.

> 2. Why do we need KMS, especially for clear key operations?
The KMS prevents exposure of the keys to the application. The KMS can use
the CPACF with clear keys in *protected* storage so that the end-user cannot
exposure the clear keys. Thus, the benefits of performance and scalability
of CPACF are complemented with secure key management. You don't get any of
that with ICSF.

So, if you are forced to use a 3rd party key management system, you have
no need for ICSF.

> Radoslaw Skorupka
/snip/

Jeffrey D. Smith
Principal Product Architect
Farsight Systems Corporation
700 KEN PRATT BLVD. #204-159
LONGMONT, CO 80501-6452
303-774-9381 direct
303-484-6170 FAX
http://www.farsight-systems.com/
comments are invited on my encryption project