Steve Comstock wrote on 09/08/2006 03:00:56 PM:

> You could probably define your field so that the
> rightmost half byte (nibble? nybble?) is not
> included.
>
> For example, a 5 byte packed decimal field beginning
> at offset 32 would be:
>
> FIELDS=(32,4.4,BI)

The would be:

FIELDS=(32,4.4,BI,A)

> The ".4" indicates 4 bits of a byte. I don't think the
> BI (bit string) pays attention to the leftmost bit as
> a sign; if it does, you could replace that with CH.

BI with 4.4 would ignore the last nibble.  Actually, you
can only use bit notation with BI, not with CH.

> Performance may suck, but the construct should work just
> as you are intending.

I wouldn't expect the use of bit notation to have a
negative effect on performance vs the use of PD.  It might
actually be a bit better.

Frank Yaeger - DFSORT Team (IBM)
 Specialties: PARSE, JFY, SQZ, ICETOOL, IFTHEN, OVERLAY, Symbols, Migration

 => DFSORT/MVS is on the Web at http://www.ibm.com/storage/dfsort/