On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 17:13:39 -0500, Tom Harper wrote:

>It has become apparent to us that the large block interface (LBI) for
>tape data sets does not appear to be supported by IDCAMS nor DF/SORT. I
>can find no reference in the documentation of these products for it.

Maybe you weren't looking in the right places?

PARM = 'SDB=LARGE'
LARGE specifies that DFSORT is to use the system-determined optimum block
size for an output data set when its block size is zero. SDB=LARGE allows
DFSORT to select a block size greater than 32760 bytes for a tape output
data set, when appropriate.

The above is from the DF/SORT Application Programming Guide for z/OS 1.6 so
the support is documented back at least that far.  (SyncSort has similar
support, by the way; I looked that up for my own purposes earlier this
week.)

DF/SORT additionall supports SDB=LARGE via OPTION statement.  SyncSort also
has its similar alternative.

LBI is limited to tapes, not DASD.  (Too bad - I would like to see the 3390
geometry disposed of at long last.  3390's track length is getting
cramped.)

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI