There are a couple of issues that were actually going on.

In 1.7 the INTRDR processing is done in the Address Space allocating
the Reader. It is possible that an Address Space that is not optimally
qualified in the WLM Service Policy, may not get access to the Processor
as much as you'd like. The INTRDR processing may become a victim to
this. Resist the tempation to put CA7 into SYSSTC. Rather, give it a
respectable goal in something like STCHI. Now, if you have indiscriminately
placed many STCs in SYSSTC, STCHI may not be good for CA7, and then
I'd say put it into SYSSTC until you clean up the Service Policy.

Accessing the JES2 Checkpoint may cause challenges (see next paragraph).
Creating the "Hot Potato" effect or having a MAS member Hold onto the
checkpoint too long may have impact on CA7. The MASDEF specs for
HOLD and Dormancy may need to be updated. See the JES2 Availability
and Performance Redbook. It helps you determine the correct specs based
on the number of members in the MAS, and what the members are doing.
The member that has the CA7 address space (that is the one submitting the
Jobs) should have a higher Hold value than the other members. The systems
with not much JES2 activity will benefit adjusting the MINDORM and MAXDORM.

The real issue: when you migrate from a previous version of CA7 to the current
one, you need to be sure that your Configuration specifications have been
updated
on the new version. A specification in CA7 tells CA7 to retrieve and track the
Jobnumber for every Job submitted. If you are submitting large numbers of Jobs,
this will put quite a strain on the JES2 Checkpoint. In previous versions, we
had
customers turn this option OFF. When you forget to do the same thing in the
current version, you go back to putting the strain on the Checkpoint. When we
had customers experiencing this problem, turn OFF that option, the apparent
slowdown went away. Moving CA7 to SYSSTC was done at the same time; but
given you all know how I feel about too much in SYSSTC, turning of the Track
Jes2 Jobnumber option is the real fix.

If you have further questions (CA7 performance, JES2 MASDEF specs, or WLM
overhauls), feel free to contact me offline at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks, Chris, for keeping me honest. I'm on the road, too; and I actually could
have answered this last week.