I thought I would try to answer Timothy Sipple's question in a different
way.

How is the mainframe like the opera? Answer, in both cases, the average
customer age and the average aficionado age gets about eleven months greater
every year. This does not bode well for future business. One reason, in the
case of the opera, and some might say in the case of the mainframe, is the
entry cost. Let's say you're a young guy who thinks he might enjoy the New
York Metropolitan Opera. Guess what? The cost to find out is about $300 (two
tickets plus a few incidentals). This would not encourage you to become a
new opera customer or aficionado. It's fine if you're already hooked, but
there are few new entrants. Sound familiar?

Here's what the Metropolitan Opera is doing about the opera's problem:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/09/arts/music/09cheap.html It's currently THE
MOST E-MAILED STORY on the NY Times Web site.

Question: What is IBM doing about the mainframe's problem? The FLEX-ES
situation indicates they may be moving in the opposite direction.

Charles Mills