I, personally, believe the answer is number 2. IBM likely wants to kill
the zSeries.
Unlikely, I think. I can testify that IBM puts in a lot of effort taking care of their largest customers, who are on z/OS with large DASD farms. That is why they invented the 3390-27, 3390-54, and alternate channel sets, all to expand the number of GB of disk that could be attached to a single z/OS system. And I know that there are more similar projects going on. Innovation is a moderately-sized development shop. We just upgraded from a z800 to a z9BC. I can't speak about IBM treatment of small developers.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR