Some days ago we discussed whether z/OS UNIX filesystem's
TYPE names are free of choice or not. Chris then mentioned
that the names may eventually need to have a specific value.

I did some testing. Here are my findings from z/OS V1.6:

- Basically, the names are free. However, components that
  interact with filesystems may need to know that name.
- TFS is working fine with a different TYPE name. In fact,
  you need to use diffetent names should you want to start
  more than one instance.
- HFS is working fine with a different name. Note, that
  I did not run all possible utilites that deal with HFSs,
  so I cannot truely say it works in every case.
- zFS fails to start. It issues message IOEZ00331A requesting
  that the TYPE name be ZFS.
- Automount works greast *if* you change the TYPE name in the
  automunt command (its a REXX).
- I didn't play with the network part.

In summary, I have to correct my previous statement: The TYPE
names are free for some filesystems and are fix for others.

So, "stick to the propossed names" is still valid and highly
recommended.

Peter Hunkeler
CREDIT SUISSE