Matthew

Sorry for the delay, I'm cleaning up posts to which I intended to reply.

It may work but it won't necessarily work well.

When packets are destined beyond the adjacent (gateway) router, all is =
well. However, if packets are destined for another node on the same =
LAN/subnetwork as the OSA feature and the adjacent router, they will go =
first to the adjacent router and then to their destination, two "hops" =
where one suffices. The adjacent router will see that a better route =
exists and will potentially update your routing table using an ICMP =
redirect. Thus you should see a single "host" routing entry for each =
such destination. You may have no such destinations so it won't be an =
issue. Of course, you can prevent ICMP redirects packets from adding =
entries to your routing table. If you do that, you will continue with =
the inefficiency of having the same packets sent twice over the same LAN =
outbound.=20

I had something of a frown when I saw Steve's technique. More usual is =
to replace his "Where's the gateway?" entry with a subnetwork route. =
However, Steve can be excused I suppose because you didn't give =
sufficient information. We need to know the subnetwork mask for the LAN =
to which the OSA feature is attached and the remainder of the IP address =
for that subnetwork. If we assume that it is 255.255.255.0 or /24 in =
terms of the way a ROUTE entry is defined, that the IP address of the =
subnetwork is 10.1.1.0 and that the IP address of the adjacent router is =
10.1.1.254, Steve's example becomes the following:

  BEGINROUTES
;  All hypersocket traffic - Use your interface, not HIPERLF6
   ROUTE 192.10.1.0/24 =3D         HIPERLF6 MTU 8192
;  Where is the gateway?
   ROUTE 10.1.1.0/24 =3D           ETH1     MTU 8192
;  All other traffic defaults here
   ROUTE DEFAULT     10.1.1.254  ETH1     MTU 8192
  ENDROUTES

I've also set the "jumbo" frame size MTU throughout on the assumption =
you have Gigabit Ethernet and that you have Path MTU discovery active - =
and, preferably, respected by the other routers in your network.

Incidentally John McKown's templates fall down a bit on syntax as you =
can probably see. Also under "gateway_ipaddr" in section 1.2.9, =
"BEGINROUTES" in z/OS V1R8.0 Communications Server IP Configuration =
Reference you will find the sentence "The equal sign is not supported =
for DEFAULT or DEFAULT6 route entry.". This means that Steve's "Where's =
the gateway" ROUTE statement is always required and that, minimally, =
there is the then just a need for a DEFAULT ROUTE statement, that is, =
minimally there must be two ROUTE statements in order to be able to =
specify a DEFAULT ROUTE statement.

Chris Mason

Matthew Stitt Tues, Jul 25 2006 10:48 pm

Having fun with TCPIP.  Got some systems which use the GATEWAY =
statements. I want to convert them to ROUTE statements.  I also have an =
OSA port and a HiperSockets port defined.

I want the traffic between the LPARS to use the HiperSockets, and =
everything else to use the OSA port.  Default route to use the OSA port.

OSA is 10.x.x.x for all traffic.  HiperSocket is 192.10.x.x for traffic. =
Each LPAR is 192.10.1.xxx.

Would someone care to help get this stuff working the way I want?

---

McKown, John Tues, Jul 25 2006 11:11 pm

First, change to the BEGINROUTES/ENDROUTES. It is significantly easier =
to maintain=20

BEGINROUTES=20
ROUTE 10.0.0.0/8 osa MTU nnn=20
ROUTE 192.10.0.0/16 hipersocket MTU nnn=20
ROUTE DEFAULT =3D osa MTU nnn=20
ENDROUTES

The will route all the 10.x.x.x addresses out the osa. The second will =
route all the 192.10.x.x addresses out the hipersocket. It will then =
route all other addresses out the osa. Yes, technically, the first ROUTE =
of the 10.x.x.x is unnecessary because the DEFAULT will catch it. But I=20
like to have it in there anyway.

Note that you can also have:

BEGINROUTES=20
ROUTE 10.0.0.0/8 osa1 MTU nnn=20
ROUTE 10.0.0.0/8 osa2 MTU nnn=20
..=20
ROUTE DEFAULT =3D osa1 MTU nnn=20
ROUTE DEFAULT =3D osa2 MTU nnn=20
ENDROUTES

---

Steve Arnett Thurs, Jul 27 2006 6:51 pm

Here is what I would use...others may object...grin...

   BEGINROUTES                                                =20
;  All hypersocket traffic - Use your interface, not HIPERLF6=20
   ROUTE 192.10.1.0/24 =3D                   HIPERLF6 MTU 8192  =20
;  Where is the gateway?=20
   ROUTE 10.xxx.xxx.xxx/32 =3D               ETH1  MTU  1492    =20
;  All other traffic defaults here=20
   ROUTE DEFAULT          010.xxx.xxx.xxx  ETH1  MTU  1492    =20
   ENDROUTES                                                  =20
;  10.xxx.xxx.xxx is your gateway address

---

Matthew Stitt Thurs, Jul 27 2006 9:47 pm=20

Well, they can laugh all they want.  It works.  After I realized you =
meant for me to substitute the actual IP address of my gateway for the=20
10.xxx.xxx.xxx example.

Thanks a great bunch, Steve