On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:11:30 -0400, Arthur T. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>Sure.    But it isn't trivial to identify, locate, & backup to
>>somewhere safe - in a recoverable manner those files on a normal
>>computer.
>
>     How do you figure that?  I periodically backup *everything*
>except for specific files and directories that I *know* are both
>not critical and re-obtainable.
>
>     I back up to tape (one copy rotates offsite).  Since I've
>occasionally had to restore, I know the restore works.

I used to have tape drives - very expensive, slow, and unreliable. Now
I have two computers and periodically try to make one a clone of the
other as much as possible.   But I am limited with that.

My mother just got a new computer - she is missing a game which won't
work on the new computer - she paid for it on the phone and doesn't
even have a receipt.    She paid an extra hundred (on a $500 computer
which she can't afford), to have them move everything over (after she
found her box of CDs), but none of her e-mail got moved (Thunderbird),
and lots of other stuff didn't make it.   These were COMPUSA employees
with her old disk drive who didn't find it easy enough to do the job
right.     There's no way she could do it.