-----------------------------<snip>------------------------
Eric N. Bielefeld wrote:

I apply to almost every real systems programmer job posted on Monster, careerbuilder, and Dice, which on average is about 3 jobs a week. Most places, you never hear from. So far I've had one out of town interview. There are systems progammer jobs out there, but there must be a lot of people applying for each job. I am willing to move almost anywhere in the US, and if I have to I would pay my own moving expenses. I've been off work for almost 6 months now. By the way, the vast majority of jobs when searching for Systems Programmer are not what we think of as systems programmers.

I suspect that most, if not all, HR staffs are woefully ignorant of the vast variety of titles used to describe mainframe-related positions. That was CERTAINLY true of my organization. As in most other mainframe computing endeavors, a good set of standards and job descriptions related to each title would do much to reduce the confusion. Cheer up, Eric; I've been off for over two years.