Well,

it used to be an exclusive profession until something happened...

today, we can enjoy the company of the clickers / twitchers and the
tamagotchis.

I have not seen an advertisement in Europe for a "classic" z/OS - z/VM -
z/Linux - CICS systems person without Websphere / Java / Tamagotchi
bolt-on requirement since the early 2000's.

Call it a sea-change or whatever, I cannot see things improving, despite
IBM's University initiative etc. - too late. SUN have been there (The
uni's)  years before IBM.

JC

On Wed, October 18, 2006 17:40, Eric N. Bielefeld wrote:
> I apply to almost every real systems programmer job posted on Monster,
> careerbuilder, and Dice, which on average is about 3 jobs a week.  Most
> places, you never hear from.  So far I've had one out of town interview.
> There are systems progammer jobs out there, but there must be a lot of
> people applying for each job.  I am willing to move almost anywhere in the
>  US, and if I have to I would pay my own moving expenses.  I've been off
> work for almost 6 months now.  By the way, the vast majority of jobs when
> searching for Systems Programmer are not what we think of as systems
> programmers.
>
> Eric Bielefeld
> Sr. z/OS Systems Programmer
> Milwaukee Wisconsin