Edward Jaffe wrote:

> However, this post serves to further underscore the validity of my
> suggestion re: the REFR attribute. It is an old option that is not
> currently being exploited by the operating system. It could be "added"
> in an upward compatible way. (See Jim Mulder's post in this thread.) I'm
> sure there are a few existing programs, erroneously marked REFR, that
> deliberately modify themselves. Those programs will need to be relinked.
> For everything else, it's business as usual. ...

You have my support: I also suggest that REFR be used to mean "loaded in
SP=252" under the control of a system-wide option.

I currently have to link-edit some of my REFR programs with a special utility
which rounds up the length of the load-modules to a multiple of 4K because
these programs issue PGSER PROTECT to set themselves read-only in order to
prevent accidental overlays.  If these REFR programs were loaded into SP=252,
I wouldn't have to issue PGSER PROTECT or use a special link-edit procedure.

--
 Gilbert Saint-Flour
 GSF Software

--