I have just started at a new client in the application development and
maintenance area and at the moment am in a mood of outrage at two of the
vendors we love to hate.  My greatest ire at the moment is aimed at Compuware
and File-aid.  I have a multi-format record file so I am using the XREF
capability to get formatted listings and compares.  The description for the
detail doesn't have 4 filler bytes at the end (the detail description is
actually the description of the DB2 table entry, not the flat file detail with
record code in front).  Listing is fine with the complaint about the missing 4
bytes.  However the [EMAIL PROTECTED] designers of the compare function decided
to default to hex listing of the record on a mismatch with not way out of this
that I can find.  I can see listing the last 4 bytes in hex but why are they so
brain dead as to print the entire record?  I want to use production
descriptions, not something I cobble together.

Endevor, the premier change management system keeps the listings from program
compiles but doesn't provide a way to display them from the display elements
list where you can find other information about your program.  Instead the
designers decided you should use the "L" option of display footprint and key in
the obscure data set name of the listing file at the level your program is at
with the name of the program as a member name.  Underneath the covers they
convert this so they can show you the listing they have stuffed in what appears
to be a VSAM data set.  The help doesn't even tell you how to display a program
listing.

In the case of file-aid it is at current release (8.9) and unless something is
unusual Endevor is also current.

Of course unlike IBM, you have to log in to look at their manuals.

Clark Morris cfmpublic at ns.sympatico.ca