On 6 Nov 2006 08:40:50 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rick Fochtman)
wrote:

>We all know that IBM owns the intellectual property know as z/OS and can
>license, or not license it, whenever or whereever they please.
>
>The fact that their restrictions may be, to some of us, unreasonable
>does not negate the point that IBM may have reasons that we don't know,
>or understand, or agree with, for their licensing decisions.

It is interesting that Apple had a short while when it licensed its OS
to third party vendors - but changed its mind.    I don't know what
factors entered into its decision, but suspect that it would have been
much more difficult to switch to first one than another completely
different CPU design if they didn't control the hardware.