Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>> The system closes DCBs at end-of-task.
>>
> I had been unaware of such task ownership of DCBs.
> But I suspect that somehow SMP/E (or perhaps IEBCOPY)
> is completing without closing some DCB.

A task doesn't own a DCB per se, but DEBs created by OPEN are placed on a
chain anchored in the TCBDEB field of the TCB under which OPEN is invoked.

When a task terminates, the Task Close routine (IFGxTCx IIRC) runs the DEB
chain and tries to close corresponding DCBs and ACBs.  If a DCB/ACB is
inaccessible or appears corrupted, then TC issues IDC999I and S0C3.

I am not aware of SMP (or IEBCOPY) doing anything that would prevent TC from
doing its job.

--
 Gilbert Saint-Flour
 GSF Software