---------------------------<snip>---------------------
Your characteristic nose-penetrating inadequately documented stand-alone "No"s are an affront to the purposes of the list and do not constitute a "civilized discussion". Rather they cause exhaustion and are very misleading for those readers who may wish to learn something.

As for being offensive, please refer to your recent extensive post on my last attempt to counter your amazing ability to misunderstand.

I might also point out that the "future bugs" to which you refer are presumably caused by a new programmer having come along and misunderstood what has been coded already. It was always the intention behind my comments to try to find a way to minimize that possibility. I believe Alan had exactly the same intent and I'm sure his "best practice" was intended to be an Aunt Sally rather than an ex cathedra.
What started as an interesting discussion seems to have devolved into a personnal vendetta, accomplishing nothing except wasting bandwidth. Having been an Assembler programmer for 35 years, I'm going to stick my oar in, with the (perhaps forlorn) hope of getting this back to a PROFESSIONAL discussion.

When I first started programming in Assembler, I was taught to always use numeric lengths in SS instructions, even when refering to data whose length was self -defining. Then I started seeing the code that others were "cranking out" and started to discover some of the nuances of style. Some of these were good and some not so good; some elements contributed greatly to readability and understanding, others led me to considerable confusion. But each of us has techniques and style that we believe are very good, and we've all seen some examples of incredibly poor code as well. I'm not sure that any one of us is qualified to be the arbiter of "Best Practice"; the elements of style are too many and varied.

IMHO, the only criterion should be whether someone who's never seen the code before can pick up a listing and understand what it's doing well enough to maintain or debug it.