I agree with both the tone and the substance of Rick Fochtman's recent post, but the words

IMHO, the only criterion should be whether someone who's never seen the code before can pick up a listing and understand what it's doing well enough to maintain or debug it

do require qualification; at least the word 'someone' does. We lack an analogue, but patent lawyers make very good use of the notion of 'someone learned in the art' (SLITA). The notion that a tyro must understand code when he looks at it has always been and continues to be stultifying. I would thus reformulate Rick's criterion as something like

SLITA must be able to pick up a listing and understand . . .

John Gilmore
Ashland, MA 01721-1817
USA

All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC. Get a free 90-day trial! http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000002msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.windowsonecare.com/?sc_cid=msn_hotmail