Sebastian Welton writes:
>I presume that a z800 can be used for PWD use as I know of ISVs that use
>rather larger systems but I doubt you would get the ADCD as these are
>(were?) only for FLEX-ES based systems which means you're going to need
>ESCON and tape drives.

Yes, a z800 is eligible for PWD, or so I've been told.

ADCD is still OK except for initial z/OS.e load. I believe the z800 was the
first DVD loading mainframe, and that works for z/VM and Linux. For z/OS.e,
I've checked prices for tape drives (3490, 3590) on the secondary market,
and they're quite reasonable. The 3590s seem plentiful right now, probably
because of all the shops that upgraded to 3592s and TS1120s, including the
encrypting TS1120s.

>However even if this were possible, which I presume it is, I personally
>would not want to run zOS.e for such a system. The only compiler is for
>C/C++ which pretty much limits you to that and that only.

And Java. That's OK for me, but your mileage may vary. There are also
interpreted languages available like Perl, LotusScript, and, if eweek.com
is correct, PHP. (PHP is already available, but eweek.com says that Zend
will enter the support business for it.) And Assembler.

I'll have to read the fine print, but the z/OS.e Web site says that the
COBOL, PL/I, and FORTRAN compilers are not eligible. Maybe that still
leaves BASIC, Pascal, RPG, and REXX compilers as options, but that's not an
issue for me.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
IBM Consulting Enterprise Software Architect
Specializing in Software Architectures Related to System z
Based in Tokyo, Serving IBM Japan and IBM Asia-Pacific
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]