In a message dated 11/17/2006 2:36:56 P.M. Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>the  entire world refers to us as "Americans" -- and has for a couple
hundred years  -- I >don't see why it is somehow our failing.

We are not at fault for having this name, but we commit cultural  arrogance
when we think we are the only Americans.  “The  name of our country is América.”
 [Simón  Bolívar]

Bill  Fairchild

"To plunder, to slaughter, to steal, these things they misname  empire; and
where they make a desert [the sack of Carthage], they call it  peace."
[Agricola; quoting British chieftain Calgalus' comment on the Roman  Empire]