I am getting the same messages on IBMLINK Green Screen as Ed Jaffe was
receiving:

 ICH70001I T424GAM  LAST ACCESS AT 23:29:17 ON FRIDAY, DECEMBER 1, 2006

z/VM Version 5 Release 2.0, Service Level 0601 (64-bit),
built on IBM Virtualization Technology
There is no logmsg data
FILES:   NO RDR,   NO PRT,   NO PUN
LOGON AT 23:31:16 UTC FRIDAY 12/01/06
ELINK z/VM CMS 22 20-Apr-2006
0192 not linked; request denied
$GEOXT$ - unable to VMLINK CFSWEUA 192 Disk. RC=1298
 23:31:22 ACVRDR0209I Spool file 1187 (NOVMLINK CFSWEUA) is not in NETDATA
form
 at.
Ready; T=0.20/0.23 23:31:22

                                                                  HOLDING
ELINK7    <==From Line 24

I was not sure from Ed's post if he successfully recevied the IBMLINK Main
Menu or not.
I wanted others to be aware that although the above issue is still
occurring ( Friday, 12/01/06,
18:00 Central Standard Time 00:00 GMT ) you can get past this condition.
Note that the CP/CMS
status line ( Line 24 on a 24x80 screen ) indicates HOLDING.  VM wants the
user to press the 3270
Clear or PA2 key.  I used the Clear key ( PA2 key also works ) and
successfully received the IBMLINK Main Menu.

The screen was placed into HOLDING status ( I'm guessing ) because of the
highlighted
ACVRDR0209I message.  I searched on IBMLINK & Google and didn't get one
hit.  It is
probably from an IBM internal SVM ( Service Virtual Machine ) that receives
VMLINK command
failures.

FYI: According to the VMLINK command, a Return Code of: 1298 is really:

VMLINK RC       Meaning

1xxx            CP LINK returned RC = xxx.

Checking the CP LINK command return codes, Return Code of 298 is:

HCP298E   userid vdev not linked; request denied

According to the z/VM online help messages manual, HCP298E means:

HCP298E   userid vdev not linked; request denied.
Explanation: The external security manager (ESM) has determined you are not
authorized to link to the virtual device that you specified in the LINK
command.
System Action: The command is ignored. The link is not done.
User Response: Obtain the appropriate authorization and enter the LINK
command
again.
Operator Response:  Contact your system administrator to obtain the
necessary
authorization.

I'll bet somebody changed something in the database of RACF/VM.

Glenn Miller

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly
prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. ABN AMRO
Bank N.V, which has its seat at Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and is
registered in the Commercial Register under number 33002587, including its
group companies, shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any
delay in its receipt or damage to your system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its
group companies) does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free of
viruses, interceptions or interference.