Hal,

I think you are referring to the "reserved" lpar capability.

We just upgraded our processors and since we had to POR I defined a number
of lpars as reserved, name(*).

Now when we want a real lpar we will just unreserve one of them and o a
dynamic activate.

Haven't done that part yet to verify how it works.

Alan

Hal Merritt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
12/07/2006 09:10
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>

IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
cc

Subject
Renaming an LPAR??

We are converting everything to z/os.e but running in the roadblock of
needing a POR to change the partition name. I am told that, under z/os
1.7, I can 'rename' a partition presumably via a dynamic change.

Has anyone verified this? Has anyone actually tried it?

I am running a mixture of 1.4 and 1.7. All IODF/IOCDS originate from an
anchor LPAR which is 1.4 with the exploitation code.  Anyone see any
issues trying to run a mixture of 1.4 and 1.7 while renaming?

Thanks.