When we do our Disaster recovery tests we wind up do a large amount of delete noscratch against our user catalogs. We basically uncatalog all of our disk datasets leaving just the tape datasets in the catalogs. The catalogs are restored along with full pack restores of certain volumes. We then selectively restore our needed disk datasets, almost always to different volsers than in production.
First quesion: if you restore the user catalogs, why do you need to uncatalog the datasets? Restore would effectly uncatalog anything that had changed since the backup

Well we generate the IDCAMS delete noscratch statements in about 20 seconds, but then running the acutal IDCAMS deletes takes upwards of 80 minutes to uncatalog 92,000 entries from our largest user catalog. We delete them in alphabetical order.

Do you know of anyway I can SPEED up this process??
I find that catalog caching had the largest known effect on catalog operation times. Check out the caching options in the "Managing Catalogs" manual. It might even be possible to disable caching during the uncatalogs. This might be done by altering the SHR options to make the catalog appear to be unshared during the uncatalogs.

--
Bruce A. Black
Senior Software Developer for FDR