Re: All this spells disaster for the little guy, and I think IBM is
actually shooting itself in the foot trying to become the only
z/OS-capable hardware vendor.  We'll know the answer in the next 25 years.

Dear Tom Conley,

Your comment above.....about "Big Blue" trying to become the only z/OS
capable hardware vendor. How can they do that now with z/OS, when for years
they had competition from AMDAHL, NAS, HITACHI, etal.  AMDAHL made the
necessary inroads (thru the courts) and via agreements with IBM to become
a "hardware" processor competitor, no?! Gene Amdahl did it at the mainframe
level before COMPAQ did it at the PC level (reverse engineering).
Why would IBM think they could undo the past?
Haven't their lawyers heard of "Stare Decicis" ?????

Mark H. Young
IBM Mainframe SysProg (old timer)