>Well our earthquake proof building had hopped enough to knock about 50,000
>reels off the
shelf and everybody that could read and bend over was put to work.

In the early 1970's, there was a fire in the University of Toronto Computer
Room (well before the protection(s) we have today).

I had to endure, 20 years later, stories by my, then, VP, but previously the
computer operations manager at UoT, about how he had thought to grab the
poles/racks (or whatever) and strung them through the reels in the tape
library, to rescue as many as he could.

Due to poor/untested backup/dr procedures a lot of master's/PHD work was still
lost.

UoT has top-level procedures, today.

When in doubt.
PANIC!!