I am sure that there are many options.

I have used Network Systems and CNT, and now McData Channel Extenders, in
the past and I am sure they would work, but at a price.
However, I have also used a Barr Dos based solution for both 3480 and
Printer extension (via a remote 37xx) from these folks
http://www.barrsystems.com/
and found it more than sufficient for purpose at a lesser cost.
These days, Barr have IP solutions, but at the time we needed to switch
from SNA to IP the solution on offer required us to run an additional MS
SNA Server/Client configuration. In the end I elected to replace the DOS
machine with an NT server, utilised the existing 3480 device (SCSI
attached) and ran NovaXchange from Novastor to read/write the cartridges.
However, this required us to use FTP to transfer data to/from the
mainframe which introduced an additional piece of processing but there is
the option to store the data on the server until you are ready to write
the cartridges.

We do still run Barr software (Using MS SNA Server) but only for Printers
and not Tapes/Cartridges.