>When you implement synchronuous (or asynchronuous) copy of your DASD
>data to a remote site, is it necessary for the remote site to have a
>z/OS system active?

No.  We (async) mirror between two STK V2X4f arrays and there is no host
attached at the hot site until we want to use the data there (either for a
test or a DR situation)

>and until you issue commands that stop the
>mirroring (depending on how implemented), the remote site can't have
>anything but read access to the data, if at all.

Actually, because we use remote snapshot on our remote disk, we can
continue with production async mirror process and IPL to a copy of the data
on the remote disk with the hot site's MF hardware.  We do this every time
we have a DR exercise.

We have three copies of the data on the remote disk...
1) The staging copy where the async mirror data is written
2) Copy 1 which is remote snapped every other day
3) Copy 2 which is remote snapped every other day opposite copy 1

So for a DR test we might plan on IPLing Copy1, knowing that the async data
will continue to be written to the staging area, and then to Copy 2 for the
daily 'synchpoint'.

Jeffrey Deaver, Engineer
Systems Engineering
[EMAIL PROTECTED]