On 1/5/2007 12:59 PM, Clark Morris wrote:
 > The choice of nationals as the only special characters allowable in
passwords is poor to say the least.  The $ code point becomes a pound
sterling sign in the UK and the yen sign in Japan.  I suspect similar
changes for the others.  It would be far more sensible to allow the
slash, asterisk, hyphen and plus sign since I believe they remain
stable across code pages.

As mentioned before, z/OS password phrases (z/OS R8 and later) support a wider set of special characters. So, when applications eventually start supporting password phrases, and administrators enable usage of password phrases, users with password phrases will have a wider range of special characters to choose from.

        Walt Farrell, CISSP
        z/OS Security Design, IBM