Without knowing what your day-to-day role is, it's hard to say.

First, simply by not being in denial. Mainframes are not better because the
people who use them are older, the boxes are bigger, they were around in
1979, and all of your professional peers work on them. Mainframes are not
better because we all know they're better, and that's that, and anyone who
disagrees with me is obviously one of "them."

Second, many of the participants on this list, myself included, work for
(directly or indirectly) IBM or a software vendor. We have a direct or
potential influence on speed, cost, ease-of-use, reliability, and security.

If you work for an end-user company, then you have some influence on, for
example, the ease-of-use of your systems. I often hear on this list a
defense of obscurity: "why would you want to change how JCL works -- it was
good enough in 1968, it's good enough now." That is not a productive
attitude. Face it, the mainframe is in many ways user-hostile. We are the
people who invented the cult of the unapproachable IT guru: "authorized
personnel only." Changing those attitudes would be a good step.

And some things cannot be changed. Better to work to advocate intelligently
for the use of mainframes for the tasks they are good at, than to operate in
denial of the fact that it's not the best choice for every computing task,
or every company.

Charles