It seems to me that Hal Merrit's stepwise approach will work. I think it will, however, require an intermediate IODF, in which the 2 new CUs are only defined to the two channels that will be offline when I do the first activation. (Also the two CUs I want to get rid of will only be deleted from the two off line channels.) Then I vary those two channels online and the other two channels offline and activate the configuration I really want, the one with the two new CUs that will handle the new DASD and the two CUs that have been handling all the old DASD volumes. and with the two new CUs defined to all four channels. (Gone too will be the two CUs that I am deleting.)
Tom Sipusic

Kevin Neubert wrote:

Except for older CF stuff like TYPE=CFR, adding/deleting partitions and
devices not defined with the dynamic feature I don't recall having to
perform many PORs...

Paths to the control unit should be unique.  See CUADD, etc.  What do
your CNTLUNIT and IODEVICE statements look like?  What is the total disk
capacity (ADDRESSes) you desire?
1024, the maximum that can be defined to an ESCON channel.

Regards,

Kevin

Hal Merritt wrote:

Try a stepwise approach. Take two channels offline, reconfigure, and
bring them back on line. Then take the other two off and do those.

Or do the channels one at a time if you cannot tolerate two off at the
same time.
That worked for me when we did a 'hot' migration from a Shark to a
DS8100. We moved the whole farm without an IPL, let alone POR. HTH and good luck.