Steve

So what you have got so excited about is the simple old VTAM Unformatted
System Services LOGOFF command - dating from the late '70s - totally
unpolluted by TN3270E.[1]

You may even like to experiment with TYPE(COND) in order to see what effect
that has in TSO - and maybe other applications. As I said in a previous
post, for use with TSO, TYPE(COND) is "reconnect-friendly".

Since this is your first exposure to the SYSREQ function used when in
session, perhaps you should simply try pressing Enter after pressing SysRq.
This will present your USS message 5. If this is simply "Function not
supported" it indicates you have not invested in cramming masses of useful
substituted information into the message such as - let me pick one at random
<g> - @@LUNAME. See sections 5.12.7.1, "BUFFER", and 5.12.7.20, "TEXT" in
z/OS Communications Server SNA Resource Definition Reference.

Cramming masses of useful substituted information into USS message 5 is what
I used to advise my students to do in order that end users would be able to
pass the full identification of their session to the help desk when they had
a problem. No more hunting around for a slip of paper somewhere near the
workstation that just may be up to date - or may not.

Sadly this does *not* work for a TN3270E connection.

[1] This even reminds me that 8100 sessions, *the* exciting SNA system of
the late '70s, *required* the SSCP LOGOFF rather than any application
LOGOFF.

Chris Mason