Hal Merritt wrote:
The encryption software starts before Windows. The software failed with a blue screen of death. My sense is that one or more critical files on the hard drive used by the software became corrupt as PC files are known to do. But I don't know. But my point was the laptop was put out of service for several days. Doesn't really matter why. This may be tolerable (or even expected) with a PC. But on a mainframe? The complete loss of mission critical data even for a few days could be catastrophic to the company. One solution is to have backups that aren't encrypted. But, then, what would be the point of encryption in the first place? As I said, a puzzlement.

for a little drift ... another crypto related thread  (FDE ... full disk
encryption)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm26.htm#23 It's a Presidential Mandate, Feds
use it. How come you are not using FDE?

one of the things that was driving "key escrow" ... was that if the data (at rest) was always
encrypted ... then the backups would also be encrypted. "key escrow"  was required to satisfy
"no single point of failure" scenario (loosing the key) and disaster recovery.

There is a separate issue if a vulnerable laptop containing the only copy of
business/mission critical data ... this is again normally dealt with as a disaster
recovery and "no single point of failure" scenario (regardless of what kind of
availability standard any piece of equipment might meet).

For a totally different rant ... there is a big effort to solve some
vulnerability problems using encryption ... which I claim would be better
addressed by eliminating risk associated with some forms of data ... and
eliminating requirement for other kinds of data altogether. recent long-winded
posts on the subject
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006b.html#60 Securing financial transactions a
high priority for 2007
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006b.html#61 Securing financial transactions a