If one of your tapes walks out the door with a disgruntled employee, then you
have the wrong guards on the door. They are not just supposed to be there for
decoration. No one person or organization can be responsible for the security
of EVERYTHING. So make sure your guards do their job and you handle encrypting
the external tapes. One system's programmer cannot do it all, nor can they
convince management to buy it all to do it all.

/Tom Kern

--- Jeffrey Deaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Its too easy for one of those 'secure' tapes to walk out the door with a
> disgruntled employee.  And when the audit turns up a tape missing - its not
> going to care how or where it went - only that its missing and not
> encrypted.  More than once I've read notices from companies announcing
> breaches where they state that they are '99% sure its in a landfill,
> but...'.  And while that may be true and the data is more than likely safe,
> the damage to the reputation is already done, and the cost to notify is
> real.
>
> For my money, if it >can< be carried out, its going to be encrypted.

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/