On 19 Jan 2007 05:29:45 -0800,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Marchant) wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 07:08:19 -0500, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:
>
>>Machines without any error checking don't even qualify as
>>etch-a-sketch; they're just junk.
>
>When the IBM PC was first introduced in 1981, it was the first of
>the PCs with parity.  Today there are only a few PC "servers" with
>ECC memory, but the rest have nothing.  Try to find a laptop with
>parity or ECC memory.

Come on, folks; let's have a little perspective on this issue! Perhaps
you can't find laptops with ECC memory because the non-ECC memory is
completely reliable for all _practical_ purposes? Am I running a risk
of data corruption on my laptop because of some random memory error
that goes undetected? Sure. But right now, I'm far more worried about
slipping on the ice from last weekend's storm as I go out to my truck,
falling on my backpack and breaking that laptop.

My employer's shiny new Z9 processor doesn't have to worry about that
particular risk! :-)

Eric

--
Eric Chevalier                          E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                           Web: www.tulsagrammer.com